Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty 80/100

I never managed to get into the movie, very much. I'd half watch a scene or two, and then move on. The gross out factor was a bit strong, and I admit, the rumors of people running screaming from the theater, and becoming violently ill and so on did nothing to encourage me.

Without the intrusive visuals, however, this is an excellent, creepy and psychological story. The pacing is sharp, I don't remember being bored for a single page. I read it in one sitting, staying up way later than I should have. The really interesting part of this story is how long it is able to keep you guessing.

At every point along the way, it offers other explanations for what is going on with the possibly possessed little girl, from the physiological and psychological to the religious or paranormal. the reader is given plenty of options as to how they want to interpret the events. This makes it all the more upsetting, as you're never really sure what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment