Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Twits 10/100

After having read some of Dahl's other works recently, I found this to be the bottom of the barrel. The mean spirited Twits like to mess with each other, and you spend the first half of the book solely in the company of these thoroughly awful people. Some of the tricks they play on each other are slightly funny, but none of it is as clever as we know Dahl can be.

Additionally, the the monkeys, and their friend, the bird, don't start playing any kind of important role until the book is almost over. You spend the first half of the book wondering just why the heck we're being told about these people. When the monkeys finally pull it together enough to get one over on the twits, their punishment is simultaneously overly gruesome and tamely unsatisfying. I guess this book is good for giving a young reader a giggle or two, but it lacks in charm or educational aspects, especially when compared to classics like Matilda or The Witches. Keep away from this one, guys, but a lot of Dahl's other stuff is really good.

3 comments:

  1. Aw man! Now, as an adult I have to agree, but the fourth grader I was wants to kick your ass! I think this is just the sort of book you give to a kid who goes out of their way to avoid "charm and education"...to hook them. Then let them work up to a BFG or Matilda. I think you have to consider the audience, and this was written for little boys who find boogers and butt jokes funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah. I accept that. I am not however a little boy who finds boogers and butt jokes funny, so for me not so much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh I said this to you IRL but you told me to post it.

    not having read it in like two decades, I do remember the book talking about Mr. Twit's beard, and how he thought it made him look all wise and shit like Gandalf, but actually it was this nasty rat's nest filled with bugs and old food.

    Now you might look at that and say "yeah, booger and butt jokes" but when I was little I walked away from it thinking about people being out of touch with reality, and having faulty self-awareness. That sort of thing. I'm kind of tired now so I can't write so good, but I think you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete