Monday, May 9, 2011

House of Leaves 60/100

Wow. This book is incredibly strange, but if you stick with it, it has great rewards. This isn't a book, its' an EXPERIENCE. While trying to follow the overlapping narratives, puzzling out the notes, and making sure your book is oriented the right way, you will be taken on a many layered journey.
This is a hard review to write however, as telling very much about the plot or characters will rob you of the joy of puzzling it out for yourself. All I can tell you is, look for hidden codes, don't be afraid to back track, and read every word you can. It will be worth it.
Did I mention this book is scary? There are dozens of ways it can freak you out. Even if you're reading it outside, and in broad daylight, you might find yourself afraid to look over your shoulder...

4 comments:

  1. Yet you only gave it 60/100. Is it really worth reading? Am I going to get to the end and say "ok, that was a cool format, but the story was lame."?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to get to the end, and go WTF? and start over again. It's very dense, very heady. This review represents my first impression of the book directly after I'd finished it. I actually have a more in-depth review planned for the /other/ blog, which reflects my feelings after I'd gone through the whole thing a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book CAN become a temporary obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's occasionally quite maddening. I've gone through the whole thing several times and alas, have come to no conclusions. :\ I don't think you CAN come to any conclusions.

    ReplyDelete