Thursday, May 19, 2011

Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco 77/100

I'm going to be totally upfront here. I read this book, but I don't really feel like I understood it at all. I don't know if this is the fault of the author, the translation, or my own lack of intelligence. While there are parts of the book that I found fascinating, especially the parts dealing with Voodoo, I read for long stretches of time with absolutely no clue just what the hell was going on. I found it hard to parse the events often, and found myself frequently rereading pages, and feeling like I missed something.

But since the book has such a reputation for greatness, and the parts of it where I knew what was going on were really interesting, I can't wholly condemn this book. But I didn't understand it well enough to give a warm recommendation, either. If you are the kind of person who enjoys being challenged by a book, by all means, read it. But if you're just looking for a little entertainment, then this is definitely not for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment